Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Foot and mouth

Our local radio station KFSK has started an annual fundraiser where community members donate art pieces which are then auctioned off with all of the proceeds going to the volunteer station. I hadn't heard about it until this year, but decided i would like to donate. I have had this one piece kicking around since Sam and i first moved in together, i'm thinking it must have belonged to his ex-stepfather. I was not attached to it at all, and it was a nicely framed watercolor, so i assumed it would be an appreciated donation.

On my daily bank run yesterday, i asked the teller how her weekend was. Now, i've known this girl since high school, and we chat politely all the time, so i would consider her more than just an acquaintance. She proceeded to tell me that she attended the art auction, got really drunk, and ended up spending a lot of money for quite a few pieces. I ask about her new art collection, and she says "i got a few really nice ones, but then one REALLY bad one," with a look of disgust. By this time all of the other tellers had tuned in to the conversation also.

Of course, it was the one I had given. She told me all about it while i stood listening intently. Her whole table had joked about how bad it was, so her boyfriend bid on it with her number as a joke, and ended up winning it for $25. "It's this logger guy kneeling down in a patch of mushrooms, with this purple fairy on his shoulder, so it looks like he's totally tripping..." I couldn't contain my smile anymore, so i leaned in and said "i donated that piece." The look on her face and the laughter that erupted from the other tellers was priceless. It took some reassuring to convince her that i wasn't offended, that i also thought it was bad, thus giving it up.

"Fantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen." -Albert Einstein